Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Move Over Martha!

OK, Martha Stewart has nothing to worry about when it comes to me being domestic enough to take over her empire. But I did do some crafty/home-y things in the past few days.

The main project being a cushion for Landon's built-in bench in his room. Let me preface this and say that I do not claim to be good at such things. I do have a simple sewing machine. And I did use to be the queen of making scrunchies (Hey, I did celebrate my childhood/adolescent years in the 80's/90's - they were VERY cool...I had a whole drawer full of them). And home-ec/sewing/cooking was a part of the mandatory curriculum when I was in middle school. BUT don't let any of that mislead you or impress you.

Anyways. Here is my finished product:
There is certainly a problem area or 2 and I will not let close-up inspections be done on the piece, but I am not a perfectionist when it comes to things like this. I am satisfied with my opinion of "good enough." There are more important things to stress about. This project has taken enough of my time already. I'm very happy with how it turned out for my skill level. Plus, I'll probably want to change the color of it in a couple of years anyways. Landon already is understanding how to relax on it.
I even had enough fabric and piping to squeeze out a little pillow - barely enough though. My spool of thread was making me very nervous! I ran out of bobbin thread, literally, as I finished the project (I know some of this simple sewing jargon means nothing to some of you.....Just know that it is the extent of my sewing jargon - it just means my thread was nearly all gone...and that's kinda/pretty important).
Plus, I gathered some of my foilage and put them in a vase. These have a lovely, light fragrance. Several people have told me what sort of plant this is, but I can't remember. I just know that I have two overgrown bushy areas of it and it attracts large, scary, fuzzy looking bumblebees.
Plus, I roasted some of my small cherry tomatoes making them very tasty! I froze those that I didn't immediately eat so that I can enjoy garden goodness later on in the year.
Like I said, Martha has nothing to worry about. I don't like to clean, we are still eating off of a blue card table in our kitchen, I talk in excited and loud tones sometimes, and I'm perfectly fine having guests over and letting them eat off of paper plates. :)