Friday, November 01, 2013

Things I've laughed about...

In tough situations, we know its good to keep a sense of humor. Not to detract from the seriousness of life, but to allow yourself to relax and keep things in perspective.

Here's a few things I've found myself laughing about in the past month:
 - I've made trips to the hospital daily, sometimes twice a day. I have multiple options for parking. The parking garage and the valet are the two that I use most frequently. There has been on more than one occasion where I find myself standing in the parking garage, only to realize I have no idea where I parked...or that I didn't park in there at all and I did valet that day. I've even forgot what vehicle to be looking for since I juggle between taking Adam's truck and the mini-van.

- We've joked about who is going to get the whole walking-thing down first: Heath (our almost 1-year old)...or Adam. Who is your money on?

- I was helping shower him a few weeks ago and he was just laughing. Laughing. Laughing. Not something Adam frequently did in such long bouts. I found myself getting annoyed, thinking maybe I was doing something wrong. I started laughing too and asked him what was wrong. In between laughs, he said, "That tickles!"  (He did not use to be very ticklish.)

- We've been warned that on Adam's last day, the nurses will paint his toenails. It's a tradition. He wants no part in this and insists that he will fight. The nurses confidently insist that they outnumber and outstrengthen him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! I love you Becca!

Grace

jan said...

Becca, I just love to read your blog, both for the updates and just because your way with word always make me smile.
I had to laugh though when I read about the warning about the traditional toe-nail painting!!! It brought back a good memory. One of seeing my sixty-four year old dad's toe-nails all done up in bright colors and designs. He said it "would not happen" too. (he was at Mary Free Bed from Dec '88 to March '89) Over the next 23 years though...... even he always smiled at that memory!!!!! (so glad to hear that the tradition continues)
By the way.... Doctors told my dad that he would never walk again, and MFB mostly worked on helping him to adjust to a new normal...... To the amazement of the Doctors, he DID walk again, using a cane, but walking. (he had lost all sensation from the waist down)
Adam's determination will stand him in good stead too.
Hang in there! God is GOOD!
Continuing to pray.... jan

Adams mom said...

Just thinking about Adam having his toenails painted makes me laugh!

adam's aunt said...

Can they paint his nails camo? Glad that you are able to find laughter. It really does help us get through sometimes.