Wednesday, April 15, 2020

During a Pandemic

We're certainly in the midst of an unprecedented time. School buildings closing for over two months and kids doing online learning. Collegiate and professional sports ceasing competition. Non-essential businesses being shut down or employees working from home. Self-isolating and social distancing in which we are instructed to only leave for absolutely essential needs and then we make sure to stay at least six feet away from others. People being encouraged to wear masks and gloves if they must go out. Hard to believe that this is what we many parts of the world are looking like right now in order to avoid and beat COVID-19/Coronovirus.
"Longing to go out again"
This is how I caught Heath one evening.

Basically, its a big reminder that we often have very little control over things that happen in our world and in our lives. In an instant, so much can change. 

We're grateful that we have our anchor in the God that is never changing. A God that is sovereign, righteous, and good. A God that gives hope and peace even in the midst of uncertainty, brokenness, and loss for so many. 

Thankfully, at this time, we are both still getting our regular paychecks even though we are mostly working from home. 

Initially, I imagined how much I would get done with all of the extra down time. Write a book. Practice the piano. Pull out that blank art canvas and make a masterpiece. Brush up on my Spanish. And basically, I've gotten nothing "extra" done. Our house is messier than normal since we are ALL here ALL the time. Plus, we were used to having company at least once or twice a week in which we would do some tidying up. Welp, no one is coming over these days. And it really doesn't feel like there is much down time for too many "extra" things.
Easter 2020
This is by far the nicest we've looked in the past month.
But....I'm OK with it all. We've spent lots of time together and and for the most part, we've embraced this mandatory slow down. It's been rather nice to have laid back evenings at home where we enjoy dinner together without needing to rush off to an activity or practice. I don't even bother to open up my planner to see what's going on for the week.....because there's NOTHING going on. We've enjoyed 8 AM family devotions every morning that include all of us and are not hurried and rushed. We've played lots of games. Read books aloud. Been active outside. Watched movies together. Tried to incorporate a few "special" or "new" experiences or activities here and there. Overall, the boys have gotten along pretty well. We all miss seeing people, going places, having activities, etc. But we know this will pass. And it's been disappointing to have so many things cancelled....We recognize our disappointment, but also recognize there's nothing we can do about things right now. 
Screen time is still pretty limited. Minecraft is the choice these days.
Pokemon cards have also come out of hibernation and they've spent a lot of time with those.
Sunday morning online church.
Lots of game playing.
The Farming Game (pictured), Sushi Go, Euchre, Monopoly Deal, Chomp, Exploding Kittens, Blink, Pictionary and Pandemic are a few we've enjoyed.
Reading in a blanket fort.

Dying eggs.

Lots of driveway and yard activities.

The boys discovered the fun of putting "cards" in bike tires to make them noisy. With earnestness in his voice, Heath said that it made him feel like "the luckiest kid on earth."

Took a nice day and rode bikes at a state park and explored a little bit of trail. Tate belongs in the woods.

I made these two make banana bread, mostly, on their own.

Adam and the boys have both had to adjust to eLearning. As a teacher, Adam is not a fan, but it is what it is. You get what you get and you don't throw a fit. I was still going into the office for the first 2 weeks that the boys began eLearning, so Adam navigated all of that for them and continues to do most of the help for them. And he's done an amazing job. They respond to him so much better than they do to me. There would be so much more whining and dragging of feet if I was in charge (for them and for me). Plus, he's more technologically capable than I am. He is the senior class advisor at his school, so it's been disappointing to have all of that come to a halt and miss out on all of those events to some extent or to have to figure out how to do them with a Plan B that is still subject to not being viable. 


Physically, this time period is putting me through the ringer. 
First, there was the incident with a knife and my finger as I chopped onions. It's been 2.5 weeks since then. I'm pretty sure I've avoided infection, but we'll see if the nail grows back (I shaved the right 1/2 of my nail off, along with some skin). I've kept it in fresh, padded bandages this whole time with lots of antibiotic cream. 


Then almost two weeks ago as I was doing some art therapy in the driveway with sidewalk chalk after the announcement that Indiana schools would not be meeting for the remainder of the year, I went to get up after having been sitting on my knees and I felt/heard a painful POP in my knee. I had to have Adam help me into the house and couldn't put any weight on it for 2 days. Lots of ice and rest since then and it's still pretty tender and I can't fully straighten it. It's been almost 17 years since I had that ACL reconcstructed and I haven't had hardly any issues since.  My completely untrained, unprofessional self-diagnosis is that I did some sort of ligament damage that will need attention. But I've put off making an appointment with an orthopedic doctor yet. 


And with my knee being gimpy, but somewhat useable this past weekend, I did some weeding and landscaping. And now I've strained something in my wrist pretty good. And made my knee get angrier. Our morning prayer time includes, "Help mom because she's falling apart." (Insert emoji laughing.....and then another one crying)

Thankfully, Adam is a very good caregiver and assures me he will still love me and not leave me if my body stops working. :) I love being active though. Before my knee went to pot, I was enjoying multiple walks per day, quiet morning workouts in the basement, and winning family games of HORSE. I was literally sprinting down the street the day before it happened as I raced the boys as they rode on scooters. Activity and exercise is a stress reliever, a way for me to connect with our energetic boys, and something I fully enjoy. Not to mention, physical exertion from activity helps this woman sleep like a rock! 

Anyways. I've had a few pity parties over the matter, but I'm a big believer in trying to keep things in perspective. I never want to downplay the reality that people are facing in loss, grieving, coping, adjusting, stress to what is going on......but for me, it helps to push through with recognizing that my "harships" during this time - or any time......are all temporary and earthly. And by "hardships," I also mean that there are REAL hardships that others are experiencing.....death of a loved one, actual physical and spiritual poverty, horrible social injustices and abuse, completely debilitating physical ailments. My life is still incredibly comfortable and good compared to the majority of those living on this earth. We will get through this time of social distancing, cancellations, and uncertainty. And my knee is not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. 

It also helps for me to turn my eyes upward toward God, rather than inward at myself. I had recently shared in a group Zoom meeting that it was sometimes easier for me to prioritize being active and my physical health than it was for me to prioritize spending time with God's Word - which I KNOW is way more important. Welp, this is one way for me to have more time to do so. Praying I take advantage of my circumstances and use it wisely to keep my eyes on Him.

Just wanted to take a few moments to "document" what we are experiencing during this days.