Saturday, October 22, 2011

I can can!

At my request, my mom handed down all of her canning supplies and gadgets to me when I went to visit her last weekend. I vaguely remember her canning when I was younger. I mostly remember the scary sounds that the pressure canner made. I also remember going to the basement to pick out a can of something or other to go along with dinner. I've been desiring to give it a try. I think I know too many domestically talented people that spur me on to wanting to increase my domestic abilities. So, I bought a bushel of apples. There are a lot of orchards in our area, so it's pretty easy to get your hands on some apples at a good price.
And this machine, the fabulous Victorio Strainer, makes things so much easier! I ony had to quarter the apples....I didn't have to peel them or core them or anything. This thing strains all the stuff out that you don't want and leaves you with yummy applesauce. I used Rome apples and it made a lovely pink applesauce. I just left it au naturel and didn't add any extra sugar or cinnamon.


All but 1 of my jars sealed properly (and it was a small pint one). I consider that a success! It took me around 4 hours to do all of this. I was constantly cutting apples, switching pots on burners, straining apples, putting it in jars, etc. I don't mind doing things on my own, but next year I think I'll look for a partner to join me and we'll split the bounty. I'm taking applications.