Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Domestic Science Experiment

Science was never a subject I loved. In fact, I never really enjoyed doing elementary school Science Fair Projects. Although, the only projects I remember were usually "domestic" type experiments that my mom helped me with. Which laundry detergent works best? (I don't remember the outcome....I still use whatever I can find for cheapest). What happens when you leave out the baking powder?

Well, here's my grown up version. What can I get to clean off the grime on my stovetop grates and burners?!!?! They were getting quite bad. I just spent quite a bit of time using one of those Mr.Clean Magic Erasers on them which is my go-to for many other jobs. Wasn't budging most of it. (Maybe I should stop letting things run over on the stove? Hmmmmm....)

Well, I heard of another way and thought I'd give it a shot. Ammonia.

I put them each grate in a plastic storage bag and poured about a 1/4 cup of ammonia in the bag. (Watch out for those fumes! Open up a window so you don't inhale too much of that toxic stuff!) You're not trying to soak the stains off. The fumes is what weakens the grime. I put them in my garage in case there was a leak.

I let them soak overnight...Ok, a bit longer than overnight. I didn't get around to cleaning them until after lunchtime. Now, the source I read said that they will wipe off super easy. Not so much. I still felt like I had to do a considerable amount of scrubbing with a scrubby sponge and a washcloth. BUT they did come out looking much, much better.
And there you go. Maybe it'll help you. Maybe you already knew it. Maybe you have an even better way.