Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Revelation on Revelations

I just finished up a group Bible study going through the book of Revelation.
I'm not going to lie. When I found out we'd be studying Revelation for several months, I wasn't overly excited. Or excited at all.

I've read it before. Heard sermons on it. I don't get caught up in the details and whether something is symbollic or literal. I know the final outcome and I've always been good with that......Jesus returns, He wins, and I want to be on His team and live with Him forever.

But, as always, when one takes the time to dig into God's word, I came out blessed, just as Revelation 1:3 said I would, "Blessed is the one who reads the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near."

I certainly don't have all of the answers...or even very many. In fact, I probably have a lot more questions. But I am more familiar with this important part of Scripture. And there is so much more personal application than what I was expecting. And that's what I love about Scripture anyways.....the part where we apply it to our lives and come to know and understand God more.

As always, a group Bible study does not disappoint. I value my time in our women's Bible study so very much. It's intergenerational (meaning young women all the way up the "wise" women), which I've come to adore. There's something wonderful about getting together with women in the same stage of life as you....but there's something wonderful about being with women who have already been in your shoes. I find incredible amounts of encouragement and challenge from our time together.

Next up is the book of James. I'm easily excited about this one.