Thursday, May 08, 2014

10 Year Anniversary at Kuyper College

This past January marks the 10-year anniversary in which I started working at Kuyper College.
Having it recognized recently has made me be a bit reflective of my time there.
When I applied for a position at Kuyper, I remember someone telling me that it was a tight-knit community and it seemed really hard to get your foot in the door there. Well, my foot has been in the door and thankfully, I just haven't been able to get it back out of the door.

My first 5 years were spent working full-time, mostly in Student Life. I loved having the opportunity to know the students well and to work at providing them an experience and education that went beyond learning in the academic classroom and beyond getting a grade.  It was exhausting, exciting, stretching, and I learned an incredible amount about working with others and serving.  I have many very good memories.

I stepped out of that position when I was expecting my first child. 
I think there was even a goodbye party for me at that point.  
I was open to part-time work, but I knew I did not want to work full-time.
I thought I was saying goodbye to Kuyper.
But then a few jobs were presented to me to help with.
I worked about 15-20 hours a week after that. 
Less than a year a half later our second child was born.
I wanted to work even less. 
For almost 5 years now, I work on average 5-10 hours a week.

Kuyper is made up of many very, very good people. It aims to "Bring God's Grace into Today's Culture" by training up Christian leaders.  This small community supports one another and cares for one another.

Probably what I appreciate most about Kuyper though is that they've allowed me to work my dream job.

No, I don't mean the current projects I work on for the Academic office and faculty. 
Those are OK. ;)
I mean getting to be a part of an organization that has great purpose and value and how they allow me to be to be a part of it, even in a small way.
And I mostly mean getting to be home with my young children the vast majority of my time.

I have never had aspirations to climb any sort of ladder or earn a bunch of degrees or credentials behind my name.  I have never felt a strong call to anything specific vocation-wise.  Right now, my heart is sold out on investing in my young children by staying at home.  At this point, I do not feel there is any job or paycheck that could be presented to me that would make me want to return to the workforce full-time while they are young. And thankfully, we have benefits through Adam's job and are able to live off of what he earns.

For me, I'm doing what I want to be doing.
I have the best job I could imagine.
(Some days I need to remind myself of that when a toddler is fussing at my feet, the older two are fighting, and I haven't had face-to-face contact with another adult all day....nor a shower).

And I know that Thursdays will roll around and allow me to step away from the home life, giving me the chance to wear pretty jewelry and cute shoes, while I work to be a part of a community that is making an impact in this world.

The President of the college is gifted at woodworking and he makes gifts for every 5-year increment that is celebrated.
If I stick around long enough, I think he'll make me a rocking chair.