Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Garage Sales



There's something about the excitement of the hunt. The anticipation of finding an amazing deal. And then scoring something at a ridiculously great price that you may, or may not, have known you needed.

Ahhhhhhh. Garage sales. 

My boys have been trained from a young age to look for those neon cardboard signs on the corners of the streets.  

You just never know what you may find at a garage sale! Some of their clothes comes from garage sales (Ok, some of mine do also). House goods. Sports equipment. We even got a Bike Tag-a-long this past week that we've been talking about getting for over a year! The boys like to take their wallets and I make them use their own money if they see something they want.


Not only do we like to go to garage sales.....but, call me crazy, I like to have them also. 

Maybe its the enjoyment I get from organizing things. Maybe its the idea of making a few bucks. Or maybe its because I like to purge the house of things we don't need. Maybe its the idea of sitting out on a beautiful day mingling with others in our community as they come over to my house to visit/shop.

Or maybe its because I like to get NOTHING else done in the week leading up to the garage sale, nor for the 2-3 days of the sale. Or maybe its because I really like putting pricing stickers on things and finding them stuck in places all over our house and driveway for the next week. Maybe its because I like to haggle with people over whether or not I will take 25cents instead of 50cents on a pair of flip flops that were never worn.

Ok. It's probably more of the first list, but the second list comes along with it.

Another one in the books for the Willis house. Our block coordinates a sale every year and somehow we always mange to have a pretty big sale at our place. Sometimes I invite friends to put their stuff in it. Once we did a mission trip fundraiser. But this year due to one set of parents moving across the country and another set of parents who own mini-storage buildings and unfortunately had to liquidate a unit, we had quite a bit of their stuff to put out.

A successful and busy couple of days. We even sold a car! :)


'Tis the season for garage sales! 
I have my wallet full of quarters and ready to go!