Friday, October 17, 2014

What a Day, Glorious Day That Will Be

Said a final earthly goodbye a few weeks ago when I kissed my grandpa on the head and was fairly certain it would be the last conversation I had with him in this life.

Just a week after that, he breathed his last and left this earth.

Death hurts. It doesn't feel right. And it certainly doesn't feel good.

And it shouldn't.

It should leave us longing for something more. It should leave us searching for what life is really about. It should lead us to realize that until Jesus returns, things on this earth will not be right. There will be pain. There will be sicknesses. There will be injustices. There will be evil. There will be death.

And it should hopefully lead us to our knees realizing our need for our Savior. And longing for the day when He will make all things right and we will see Him face to face.

"There is coming a day when no heartaches shall come;
No more clouds in the sky,
No more tears to dim the eye. 
All is peace forevermore on that happy golden shore.
What a day, glorious day that will be.

What a day that will be when my Jesus I shall see.
And I look upon His face,
The one who save me by His grace.
When He takes me by the hand
And leads me through the promised land;
What a day, glorious day that will be.

There'll be no sorrow there,
no more burdens to bear,
No more sickness, No pain,
No more parting over there. 
And forever I will be with the One who died for me.
What a day, glorious day that will be

What a day that will be when my Jesus I shall see.
And I look upon His face,
The one who save me by His grace.
When He takes me by the hand
And leads me through the promised land;
What a day, glorious day that will be."

Grandma requested that the grandchildren sing that hymn at Grandpa's service. 

Try to get through that song in one piece while grandma, his wife of 67 years, sits in the front crying.

We fully believe the words. And I know she does too.
But it still leaves those left behind hurting.

Robert Jackson
August 13, 1927 - October 7, 2014
Robert Jackson passed away late Tuesday afternoon, October 7, 2014 at his home. He quietly slipped from his tired body to his heavenly home.
Bob was born August 13, 1927, to Herbert and Anna (Taylor) Jackson at home on a farm in Wells County, IN. He grew up on a farm during the depression. He left high school early to serve in the U.S. Navy in WWII. With the service and war behind him, he married Phyllis Werling on July 4, 1947. Together they set out to farm and raise a family. For 67 years, they met life's trials with a smile. They shared everything-including identical birthdays!
Bob was a faithful follower of Jesus Christ all of his adult life. He and Phyllis set a shining example as a loving couple for all to see.
Bob is survived by five children: Barbara (Sam) Strahm of Walkerton, Sharon (Doug) Miller of Fort Wayne, Bob (Linda) of Goshen, Dennis (Francine) of Mill Creek, and David (Janet) of Silver Lake, IN; 19 grandchildren; and 28 great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his parents, a brother, and a sister.
Bob retired from farming and the Kosciosko County Highway Department. Bob was a farmer at heart, but his best "crop" was his children. After retirement, he worked with other farmers in the spring and fall. In his spare time, he enjoyed model railroading and antique tractors. He used and played with Allis Chalmers machinery for 75 years, orange was his favorite color! He enjoyed many good times with his grandchildren and great-grandchildren, whom he prayed for daily. He will be missed by all and we look forward to a reunion in heaven.

Here's a couple of my favorite pictures that I have of Grandpa:

I'm the little girl in green on Grandpa's lap.
On our wedding day, August 2003.
Holding Heath.
And even though we will not see him again this side of Heaven, there are still many little things in life that will remind me of my Grandpa. Like a handful of candy corn mixed with peanuts.


Thankful to be the granddaughter of a man who lived his life faithfully for the Lord.